Tuesday, August 5, 2008

"The Pause That Refreshes"

I grew up in Seattle, Wash. Yes, the skies were so blue, and the trees and grass were so green, but what I remember most are the mountains. I walked about a mile and a half to the U of W, and the fog would be so thick I couldn't see a foot in front of me. It was early morning when I started and as I walked the sun would burn off the fog until it would lift and the air would be so clear, the sky so blue, the green so green, and I could see the snow-capped mountains all around me. To the east the Cascades, and to the south Mount Rainier, high in the sky like a giant ice cream cone. Of course the day often turned gray and rainy, too. We are talking about Seattle after all.

Last year I was able to go to Seattle for a family reunion. I prayed for good weather because I wanted so much to see Mt. Rainier again. I had heard that air pollution hid it sometimes. We had perfect weather, and I got to see my mountain from many places - including the Space Needle. What a joy!

Years after I married and left the N. W., my husband's work brought us to Arizona. The desert was hard for me to accept. I was a very busy wife and mother - we had six children and an eight room house to care for. There were times when I would get stressed out. I guess it showed because my sweet husband would suggest a day trip to Flagstaff, and a picnic on the way. The first time we went I made the comment that seeing the mountains and trees really refreshed my soul. After that he would say, "I need to take my honey to the mountains." We made several trips, and my soul was refreshed each time by the mountains and tall trees, and picnics on the banks of Oak Creek.

"Honey" Bee

Since writing this, I've been to Vancouver, Wa. - not Seattle, but close. Along with a nice visit with my sisters and their families, I got to see some different mountains and tall fir trees.There were Mt. Hood, Mt. St. Helens, and Mt. Adams. They probably got tired of hearing me exclaim over the mountains in the distance - since it's the norm for them. Now, I'm home again - in the desert. I wouldn't be anywhere else, because that is where my family is - and that is home to me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you got to go Mom! =)

Anonymous said...

The bluest sky you've ever seen, in Seattle.
And the hills the greenest green, in Seattle.
Like a beautiful child
Growing up, free and wild.
Full of hopes and full of fears,
Full of laughter, full of tears,
Full of dreams to last a year
In Seattle.

When you find your own true love you will know it
By his smile, by the look in his eyes.
Some set pine trees in the air
Or some stand around and stare
Look out everyone, Here Come the Brides.

Mom,
I went and found these lyrics after reading your blog. Remember that old TV show "Here Come the Brides"? This song goes through my head often, but I didn't really remember the words until I looked them up just now. I just usually make up my own words - "The grouchiest kid you've ever seen, his name's Gaby. And this kid can really scream, his name's Gaby. His name's Gaby..."

Julie